Last Semester, I had 5 classes and 15 credit hours. They were as follows:
- Roman Art
- Contemporary Mexican Photography
- Watercolor II
- Printed Textiles
- 3D Fibers
Roman Art was a blast. Contemporary Mexican Photography was a joke. Watercolor II was alright. Printed Textiles was amazing. 3D Fibers was also a joke.
That about sums it up. But let me show you some images. Let’s start with Watercolor.
I don’t have too many images that I took from Watercolor II. That class build upon what I had previously learned in Watercolor I. It was an odd semester, though, because our professor was sick for about a month and we’d come to class only to see a sign on the door stating that she was not going to be there and we were encouraged to work on our paintings during class time. Ha. Haha. Hahahaha. My friend, Kelly, and I decided that it we could work on our paintings better at home and spent the time in some other productive way until 3D Fibers later in the day. I’ve never done so many self portraits though. Our assignments were a 21st century art piece, 7 self portraits in different styles, another self portrait utilizing geometric shapes, white on white, an imagined landscape, and an artist study.
Geometric Self Portait
White on White in Progress
In Progress Artist Study of Susan Shatter
I enjoyed revisiting watercolor, however, I did not enjoy studying my face so much. I hope to upload images to my Drawing and Painting portfolio.
3D Fibers. Ohhh…3D Fibers. Let’s just say that our first assignment was 5 weeks spent on creating a group project with paper plates. Paper. Plates. PAPER. PLATES. What a joke. I don’t meant to be so negative, but I was expecting something more from an upper division class! My group’s project came out fairly well regardless of the material we were given to use. We made a barn owl we fondly named Wesley after Wesley the Owl.
Wesley the Owl
After that project, we had something a little more of what we were expecting, however, with less time to work on it. I made jellyfish.
Jellyfish in Progress
I totally want to revisit this project and make better jellies.
Dyeing the Jellies
I believe after that was a wearable project…I don’t have images of it though. I made a “Security Jacket.” I basically altered a shirt I bought at Goodwill and made knitted, crocheted and sewn pieces to go on it.
The project after the wearable one was a felted project. I felted over wolf figurines that I’ve had since I was a kid.
Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing
Clever title, no? I made 5 total, but the three pictured above were the best.
Printed Textiles had to be my favorite studio class of the semester. We learned so many new techniques that I’m continuing to explore. Our first print was a random one.
Barney and Baby-Bop at the Beach
Seriously. That’s what it looks like. Haha. I guess it was just the colors I subconsciously chose.
Our next assignment was to explore tessalations.
Leap-Frog was next.
Leap Frog in Progress
I did all of that in one night. It sat like this for a while because I wasn’t sure of a border. I ended up putting one on, but I’m not too fond of it.
The last assignment was pretty much anything we wanted. I chose to do a compositional piece about my dream studio.
Dream Studio in Progress
At this point we had learned the photo process of making screens for screen printing. You can see here that I really utilized this technique.
Finished Dream Studio
During the critique, we decided that this print looked much better with the sides cropped.
So, that’s a brief synopsis of last semester. A lot seemed to happen both inside and outside of school. I was hired and laid off, relationships were haywire. But, hey, I survived. I also was accepted into the Annual Undergraduate Juried Show in the Harry Wood Gallery. More about that in the next post!